OH-6 Speed and Armament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH-6 Speed and Armament

I noticed that the OH-6 is slightly lower than the speed I found around.
    I can, with great effort geyt 240km/h in game, usually clocking at 230km/h in most situations.

But on this source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_OH-6_Cayuse (I concur, not great, but still) and http://www.military-today.com/helico...oh6_cayuse.htm
    It says, Maximum speed: 282km/h (295 km/h on the second source) and Cruise Speed: 250km/h

It also mentions about two 0.50(12.7mm) Cal. pods, would this be correct on Vietnam era OH-6's?
    Sadly, I haven't found any pictures of the gunpods during Vietnam era, so I'm unsure if that will fit

That pic is not of a OH-6, that's a MH-6 Littlebird, which was developed from the Cayuse. Different tail structure.

Comment

This will be changed numerous times. Most speed records mentioned are done in ideal conditions - no armament, only two or even one pilot, fuel only for the purpose, etc. There's also different engines, alot of variants almost for each helicopter. Its pretty hard to find real data, not modified several times for different reasons. Another thing is - we still dont have relation between helicopter weight and flight parameters. When we do, as a rule of thumb, we will have maximum speed possible for less loaded vehicle or vehicle which spent all ammunition/troops.

Comment

Originally posted by itold View Post
        This will be changed numerous times. Most speed records mentioned are done in ideal conditions - no armament, only two or even one pilot, fuel only for the purpose, etc. There's also different engines, alot of variants almost for each helicopter. Its pretty hard to find real data, not modified several times for different reasons. Another thing is - we still dont have relation between helicopter weight and flight parameters. When we do, as a rule of thumb, we will have maximum speed possible for less loaded vehicle or vehicle which spent all ammunition/troops.

Thank you! That answered my doubt as to what was going on
        I was having so much fun with the OH-6 that I decided to read more about it and I came upon those values, which is why I decided to ask why instead of filing it as a bug or something else.

If anyone hasn't flown the OH-6 it is a joy to fly, and fun to act like a fly against the more heavier helicopters, it turns and accelerates like a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMagnumWolf View Post

If anyone hasn't flown the OH-6 it is a joy to fly, and fun to act like a fly against the more heavier helicopters, it turns and accelerates like a dream.
          Try these fun activities:

-Fly in between two Hinds and getting them to shoot each other down
          -Drop your ManPAD right outside the Pact airfield, on the hillside where they won't see it and fly away
          -Hover in an orbit right next to an enemy while they're landed and shoot their troops with the grenade launcher as they come out
          -Fly "Wild Weasel" and hunt down ManPADs
          -Fly into the entire enemy team of six or more people and keep them distracted for five whole minutes and live
          -Be a general pain in the a**, sniping out ground forces as soon the enemy that landed them leaves, and then hide back behind a hill

Comment

Originally posted by Nixod321 View Post

-Drop your ManPAD right outside the Pact airfield, on the hillside where they won't see it and fly away
            -Hover in an orbit right next to an enemy while they're landed and shoot their troops with the grenade launcher as they come out
            -Fly into the entire enemy team of six or more people and keep them distracted for five whole minutes and live
            -Be a general pain in the a**, sniping out ground forces as soon the enemy that landed them leaves, and then hide back behind a hill

I've done the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th. I've also kept busy a Hind, by running around a hill until he got shot by a FOB, hid some MANPADS on hills around a very disputed, recently captured FOB. And the most fun, land fast, drop MANPAD, take off while the HIND is still turning and let the Hind get shot.

Gotta say, OH-6 is the most epic Troll chopper. Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Nixod321 View Post

-Snipe Hind and Hip pilots out of the sky using only the gl and your wits
              -Kill every hostile base using only the gl
              -Kill every hostile base using only the mini
              -Capture key bases with a sneeky manpad hidden in a building

Comment

We need more MD500 up to MD530G (the one in the picture)

Comment

Working...
                X